Our specialist rural team has in-depth understanding of this very technical and highly regulated area, and the team includes lawyers accredited in agricultural law. We understand the realities of rural life today, as well as the priorities of families who have managed or farmed land for generations.
Services for tenants and landowners
Whether you’re a major landowner or a tenant farmer, our expert team can help you look after your land, preserve your rights, and comply with all the requirements for agricultural support payments.
Issues we regularly advise on include:
- succession rights and assignation
- the creation, variation or dissolution of business structures, including family partnerships
- securities over rural properties
- buying, selling and leasing all types of rural property
- diversification into non-agricultural activities
- land management, including servitudes for access and utilities
- contract farming and short-term grazing and cropping arrangements
- tax planning.
We look after your wider legal requirements
Our agriculture and farming clients – whether owners or tenants - often need assistance with related legal areas such as employment law, dispute resolution and wills and powers of attorney.
Being a full-service firm, we have expert teams covering all such areas, and our colleagues will deliver practical advice and solutions tailored to your circumstances.
Current issues for landowners
Our services for landowners include advice on community and agricultural tenants’ rights to buy.
We can also advise on emerging issues, such as the complex changes to the system of land registration in Scotland and the Scottish Government’s land reform proposals.
"Very responsive and meticulous, the lawyers provide a very good service."Chambers UK: A Client's guide to the UK legal profession
Meet the team
Title: Partner, Head of Rural Services
Department: Rural Services