Our expert Rural Services team works with families all over Scotland. Some of these families have been with us for two centuries, but we also have numerous clients who are buying or leasing property in Scotland for the first time.
Wide-ranging rural expertise
We can support you on a full range of rural services, always combining an understanding of the realities of modern rural life with an appreciation of history and stewardship. We can steer you through matters such as:
- landlord and tenant issues
- buying, selling and leasing all types of rural property
- crofting law, including resumptions, decrofting and crofting community rights to buy
- renewable energy
- servitudes for access and services, private water and drainage systems, public access code issues
- sporting rights, shooting and fishing rights, including salmon fishings and related property issues
- minerals, including options for leases for sand and gravel, coal and peat extraction
- telecommunications and radio masts.
Specialists in Scottish barony titles
We are acknowledged experts on feudal dignities in Scotland, including the sale, purchase and registration of baronies, lordships and earldoms, legal and historical research, dealing with hearings in the Court of the Lord Lyon.
A joined-up approach to supporting you
When advising individuals and families, our Rural Services team can also draw on the expertise of colleagues in other departments, including specialists in Wills, trusts, tax planning and family law.
"I rate the firm very highly – my contact with the lawyers is very good and they're quick to respond to the questions I raise."Chambers UK: A Client's guide to the UK legal profession
Meet the team
Title: Partner, Head of Rural Services
Department: Rural Services