Partner, Head of Charities
- Charity Law Services in Edinburgh, Glasgow & Scotland, Corporate Lawyers in Edinburgh, Glasgow and Scotland, Partnerships
- Charity Law Services in Edinburgh, Glasgow & Scotland
- Contact Details
- E: email@example.com
- T: 0131 656 5746
Caledonian Exchange 19A Canning Street Edinburgh EH3 8HE
Alastair is a Partner and leads Lindsays’ Charity team and is accredited as a specialist in Charity Law by the Law Society of Scotland. He has been advising charity and not-for-profit clients for more than 20 years, focusing on the corporate aspects of charity law including corporate governance, constitutional issues and charity reorganisations.
Alastair is in demand throughout Scotland as a speaker on governance issues to charity trustees and at charity AGMs and conferences for clients such as Citizens Advice Scotland, SCVO, SAMH, Scottish Autism and the Carnegie UK Trust. Alastair contributes articles on charity law issues to a variety of publications, including the Scotsman newspaper, Governance magazine and the charity newsletter of a national accountancy firm.
“I am writing to express our sincere thanks for the superb professional legal work carried out in respect of William Simpson's home." William Simpson's Home
Alastair also has considerable experience in preparing partnership and LLP agreements, dissolutions and partnership disputes (including agreements for legal, medical and veterinary practices).
Alastair is recognised by the Chambers and Partners 2014 directory for his knowledge and experience in the sector. Clients are especially appreciative of his "good tactical advice, sound technical guidance and efficient dealings," and by the Legal 500 2013 as being an ‘Experienced’ practice head giving ‘understandable, pragmatic’ advice.
- Advising the Universities of Edinburgh, St Andrews and Glasgow on various aspects of charity law including endowment funds, governance, constitutional issues and Privy Council approval.
- Providing corporate and charity advice to a large number of development and regeneration charities including Scottish Historic Buildings Trust, Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Alba Conservation Trust and Penicuik House Preservation Trust.
- Preparing Private Act of the Scottish Parliament, to update the constitution of long standing charity client William Simpson’s Home.
- Advising on the use and implementation of corporate vehicles for incorporations, joint ventures, mergers, trading arrangements and the use of trading subsidiary companies for organisations in the not-for-profit sector.
- Advising English charities and their solicitors on Scottish charity law.
- Charity Trustee of The Marchig Trust, Epic Assist, WS Dependants' Annuity Fund and The Grange Association.