Resolving disputes involving land and rural property requires very specific legal expertise. You need lawyers who have knowledge and experience of farming, agriculture, estates or crofting law, as well as specialists in dispute resolution. By working together our rural disputes team offers clients a unique combination of specialist advice to achieve pragmatic and workable solutions in this complex area.
We offer rural clients the services of qualified mediators and solicitor-advocates, as well as legal advice from experts in rural land and business. Working together across disciplines, we assist clients around Scotland, from Dumfries & Galloway to the Northern Isles, including crofters and crofting communities.
Areas where we could help you
Our rural disputes team regularly advise on a variety of disputes, including:
- tenancy disputes in crofting and agricultural holdings, for example disputes over the existence, terms or continuation of a lease
- disputes relating to the structure of farming and rural businesses, whether they’re family partnerships or companies
- succession disputes, including disputed wills or succession to leases
- regulatory appeals, for example compliance with the requirements for rural support payments
- problems with land, such as appeals of planning decisions or advice on compulsory purchase orders.
Alternative dispute resolution methods
In all our work, we take the view that a negotiated resolution is preferable to litigation. Wherever possible, we aim to achieve pragmatic solutions out of court, using methods such as negotiation, mediation and adjudication.
However, if litigation is unavoidable, our lawyers are experienced at supporting clients in all Scottish courts, including the Scottish Land Court.
"Lindsays is noted for its ‘in-depth expertise’ and ‘hands-on, practical knowledge.’ "The Legal 500: The Client's guide to the UK legal profession
Meet the team
Title: Partner, Head of Rural Services
Department: Rural Services